Monday, October 31, 2005

Ta Moko



Fitting that I should write this today on Halloween. People pick today to OPENLY pretend they are something they are not. Why do you think its such a popular holiday! Hey, I'm no different, I wanted to be Gogo the Assassin on Kill Bill, why not?! I'm feeling a little bitchy, and I can handle it. I just bought an old Samurai sword yesterday!

I digress... This post is about "Ta Moko". For the last week I have for some reason been FACINATED and drawn to Maori tattoos. Perhaps its because I dreamt of a guide with a Maori body tattoo, where all i could see was the intricate tattoos on his arm and hand.

Interesting how people wear masks to hide who they are on a daily basis. They act too cool, front, surround themselves with activity... when their true selves is hidden underneath. What's the big deal? Who you hiding from? Who are you acting for? Others? Or yourself... In truth more than the former, I believe its the latter. Sometimes we act so much we end up fooling ourselves.

That's why I am facinated by the Maori Facial tattoo. Its unique and individual.. it tells a story.. in Maori culture it signifies, status, geneology, identification, personality.. with markings indicating ferocity or beauty. It tells a story for all to see, right here on the face, on the head.. a part of the body considered sacred. It is not hidden.

Am I brave enough to walk without a mask... like we all do everyday. Of course I won't be tattooing my face.. but i am contemplating another tattoo. Signifying what? I don't know, its will be long while, while I decide. It must MEAN something for me... like my other tattoos.

I have the Japanese Kanji symbols across my lower back for:
Faith
Hope
Love
Strength
Destiny
Happiness/Fortune

I have a tribal Hibiscus Tattoo with the word "Moe'uhane" underneath. (DREAM)
That word alone for me has changed in meaning.
When I first got that tattoo it was because I always thought of Hawai'i as my dream place... the earth, sea, and sky speaks to me there.

In truth, "Moe'uhane" now means so much more... it is connected to me, my intuitive dreams.
Did tattooing that one word help set me on this course? Perhaps. Who knows...

Another tattoo would have to have deep signifigance for me. I must say, I have a deep admiration for "Ta Moko" I find it appealing on so many levels. Perhaps its the rich meaning behind it.

Perhaps its the strength and courage through painful tattooing to display one's truself for all the word to see. An appropriate metaphor for the process of Being & Becoming who you really are.. and being brave enough to let the world see who you are.

1 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Blogger Clip said...

Very interesting i like the coparisons, im reserching Ta Moko to design one for my brother. If its ok i posted a link to this post on my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home