Monday, October 24, 2005

Simple Joy


I've had quite a weekend. Today my friend was discussing relationships... and not expecting perfection in a man or a relationship. I was thinking about some things this weekend as well.

We waste so much time dwelling on the whys and wherefores of relationships. Do you ever notice that the moment you simply let yourself relax... everything flows. I am beginning to clearly see, that the mere attempt to hold on, ensures that it will slip through your grasp. Yet, think about it... look back over your life... When you stop thinking about something, when you finally give up and let go. Everything works itself out on its own.

I love watching nature shows. I often find myself looking at the big picture. The seasons change, the caterpillar turns into a butterfly, somehow life begins and goes through its stages. I am reminded of how everything in this world has a process, a plan.. and without our interference and help all things unfold as it should.

If I let go, and relax into the center of my being will all else follow?
That thought alone brings quiet and peace to my soul.

The most difficult thing to do is to surrender. We have all been taught, raised in this world to go DO something, go GET something, go PLAN something... For all our activity, where is there peace in this world. There is something to be said for letting things be, and letting things unfold with the innocence of a child.

If you could live your life from this point forward with the eyes of a child. Children love freely, wake up every morning excited for what the day will hold. They don't worry about tomorrow. They live for today.

My Goddaughter Kayla iss 5 years old. For weeks before her first day of school she would wake up and ask her mother, "School today?!" Just the thought of waking up every morning with that type of joy and exuberance makes me smile.

To rediscover the childlike joy of everyday life. If you live for today, focusing on the love and abundance you have in your life, why wouldn't you wake up with the same kind of joy?!

I am ashamed of myself for dwelling on things that make me sad or angry.

As I drove into work this morning I thought about all the blessings in my life. My parents, my cousins, my friends, my coworkers... This morning Jack nudged me awake, tail wagging and eager for me to open my eyes. I greeted him with a good morning hug and he proceeded to prance around on my bed. Simple. Joyful.

I have an old knatty Winne the Pooh bear that is no longer yellow, but a strange dark yellow-brown. His lips are practially gone, and he's lost his red shirt a looong time ago. I do believe this bear has been with me forever. I look at him and I remember being a little girl. Happy, tom-boyish, diggin in the dirt in a dress and gathering pill bugs, with Winnie the Pooh lookin' on. Today, I looked at Pooh and he smiled at me with crooked lips. I smiled back.

I am happy.
There is a deep wisdom in the laughter of a child.
I am still the little girl digging in the dirt for unknown treasure, with Winnie the Pooh cheering me on.
I just have to remember that little joyful tomboy is still there.

She's me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home